Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Reflexology relieves stress and helps Chicago writers sell writing


In my work, I've met authors like Sara Paretsky, musicians like Vince Vance and Pete Fountain and all manner of massage experts and wellness gurus. There are many benefits to being a writer and one of them is opportunity. Recently, I had an opportunity to sit down with Chicago area Relexologist Deborah Berg, MIIR. I sat down. She performed reflexology on my hands and feet as we talked about her career and an article I wanted to sell.

Deb told me reflexology is a treatment or "modality" that deals with issues like pain, stress, circulation and overall wellness support. She got into the field after years as a construction general contractor and a stint owning her own tiling business with her daughter. As you can guess, the hard, physical work began to cause some bone and muscle discomfort for her.

Whereas most people seeking a second or third career these days jump out of bed one morning and shout, "Eureka - I'm going to be a writer," Deb had the good sense to pursue a career where she could do good for others and not encounter overwhelming competition at every turn.

This is a column for writers. I'll tie reflexology in by saying the stress relief element is invaluable to writers, considering the shape our marketplace is in these days and the huge volume of people avalanching into this field. Who could be more stressed than we are? You have to sell your work to stay afloat, so you might also consider hooking up with Deb or another reflexologist to do your own article. Think about maybe something on new mothers finding relief for stress and low back pain. Maybe market it to Chicago Parent Magazine.

What is reflexology?

The theory, some say, tracks back to ancient Egypt, china, India and may even have been practiced by early Native Americans. Relexologists believe that certain locations on the hands and on the feet correspond physiologically to various body areas like the spine, skeletal parts, nerves, muscles, organs and glands.

It's thought you can affect those body parts by manipulating, stroking, rubbing or pressing corresponding hand and foot locales. In a session, the relaxation is certainly apparent. It's almost as good as a full body massage. You'll leave feeling a lot calmer than when you arrived. I can’t say if the science is sound, but those in the field swear by it. Some insurance companies may even cover treatments as complementary medicine.

Does reflexology really impact body parts?

At one point in my treatment, Deb was working on the base of my thumb. I could be wrong about the exact location, but as we chatted, my sinuses began draining profusely. It was annoying and embarrassing as my nose ran at a good clip. As I was trying to decide if I were going to choke, Deb mentioned that the place she was working related to sinuses. So there you have it.

I also notice a tingle in my shoulder when she worked with the corresponding hand place. I thought a good bit of what Deb told me was worth considering. As for the claims that reflexology treats cancer - I'd advise extreme, unyielding caution before making that claim or buying into it. That may be fodder for another sellable story - find a competing opinion and do a pro and con.

A bit of web research turns up charts and maps of the hands and feet, schools for reflexologists and contact information for a few. Deb works in Crystal Lake out in the burbs.She appears to know her business and has a soothing chair-side manner. If you're looking for an expert source for an article, or if you just need some "me" time before you refocus on your writing, I highly recommend her

No comments:

Post a Comment